The Folklore Museum, an old mansion originally belonging to the Kostas Xatzikakou family, was built in 1901 and later on came in the possession of the Pavlos Konstantinides family.
It was bought by the Kaimakliotis family and was donated to Aradippou Municipality in the memory of Costas Kaimakliotis, with the purpose of becoming a folklore museum.
On 2nd December 2001 the ceremony of delivering the building to the public took place, while the expense of its restoration was sponsored by the Municipality. On 3rd July 2007 the Folklore Museum of Aradippou was inaugurated.
The Museum was created with the aspiration of becoming a model centre for preserving, researching and promoting Cypriot Folklore Tradition.
On the basement the following can be found:
- Sun Room
- Family Chamber
- Weaving Hall
- Domestic appliances Hall
- Farming and animal raising Hall
- Traditional jobs Hall
On the upper storey the two following rooms can be found:
- A single room
- Hall of the social and cultural traditions of Aradippou
(Reenactment of the traditional ritual of dressing up the bride)
In the Museum there are also auxiliary and sanitation rooms.
Throughout the summer several cultural and artistic performances and exhibitions are organized by both the Municipality and other groups at the small amphitheatre situated at the Museum’s yard.
From March until May the visitors of the museum can admire the process of breeding silkworms.
Wednesday 7:30-14:30 and 15:00-18:00 (summer period not included - in June, July, and August the museum is closed in the afternoon)
12 Thermopilon Street, 7104
AradippouTelephone number: 24531218, Fax number: 24530690